Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It all starts with an idea

write (v): 1. to trace or form (characters, letters, words, etc.) on the surface of some material, as with a pen, pencil, or other instrument or means; inscribe: Write your name on the board. 2. to express or communicate in writing; give a written account of. 3. to fill in the blank spaces of (a printed form) with writing: to write a check.

I've always liked to write. Perhaps it started with my parents giving me such a long name. I recall learning how to write and spell my name in preschool. My mom tells a story where this boy in my class came home from preschool the day we were learning to write our names. This boy was named Jay, and apparently this is what he said to his mom:

Jay's Mom: What did you learn at school today?

Jay: I learned how to write my name!

Jay's Mom: How exciting!

Jay: Yes, it was easy for me because all I have to write is a "J", but how would you like to be 4 years old and be named Mary Elizabeth!

Or perhaps my writing began in 3rd grade. We were given free reign to write a Thanksiving story book. We could write about whatever we wanted, there were no limits or parameters. Most kids came up with a simple story that was turned into a 8-10 page story book. My story book was 25 pages, I couldn't help myself.

The people at Abilities Potential say it is because I have high idea productivity.




Idea productivity measures the quantity (not quality) of ideas a person has. Apparently my brain has an open faucet of ideas, constantly streaming out at a high rate. Good ideas, bad ideas, funny ideas, rediculous ideas...

The common way to test idea productivity is by showing  a person an image like this:

And asking him/her to make a list of as many things they can think of that they could make out of this shape in 30 seconds. The average person comes up with around 8-10 things. I came up with 28.

But whatever the source of my love of writing and flow of ideas I am happy to the chance to share them with you. My hope is that this blog will be interesting and amusing and offer a chance for me to let some of the many ideas floating around in my head come out to play.

-M.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment